Monday, January 16, 2017

Bermuda-Triangled



The Bermuda Triangle, as many of you will be aware, is one of the most fascinating unsolved mysteries in the world.

A fairly large patch of the North Atlantic Ocean, this region has earned notoriety in popular culture as a sort of magnet for aircraft and ships headed for a less-than-ideal fate. Explanations ranging from alien spacecraft to lost continents to wormholes to freak geo-magnetic anomalies have been proffered on various occasions. It makes for very captivating entertainment tropes.

However, the most sensible explanation seems to be, simply a matter of statistics. The area is just a very, very busy place, with a large number of shipping lanes and air routes passing through it, and misfortunes within it are bound to happen every once in a while.

Shit happens... what can you do?

When put that way, the whole thing just becomes, well... ordinary. The glamour of the unsolved mystery vanishes with its solution.

After much contemplation of my inability to finish the Mumbai Marathon this past Sunday, I am thinking that I have been, to coin a phrase, ‘Bermuda-Triangled’.

Here’s what happened.

Since August 2015, I have been fortunate to have had a series of satisfying races... two good half-marathons at Hyderabad, one at Goa, another two at Delhi and a great marathon at Dubai.

In spite of a few minor molehill-sized bumps in the training progression (which I never fail to make mountains of) I have had little to whine about in the scheme of things.

The more things went well, the more the chances of things not going well crept up through the ranks, from possibility to probability to certainty. Buoyed up by a good-ish ADHM in November and blissfully ignorant of odds stacking up against me, I continued through some fairly haphazard and inconsistent training as race day approached.

In all honesty, I don’t recall what possessed me to even register for this one in the first place. With Boston looming in April, a January marathon leaves no window for a proper cycle of recovery, build-up, training and taper...

But register I did, and that figuratively placed the RMS Titanic at Southampton, on course for a jolly rendezvous with a certain innocent-looking iceberg.



I landed up in Mumbai with the usual concerns... training, nutrition, conditions, the Trump presidency, real estate prices, the depletion of the ozone layer... all credible excuses for a bad race were rehearsed to perfection.


But there are no excuses that can cater for what seemed to be a ton of wet bricks to the head, three-fourths of the way into the race.

Pain and fatigue aren’t strangers to distance runners. Running with and through them... that’s what we do...

This time, however, I couldn’t even take fifteen minutes of it.

I started conservatively, took my gels, stayed hydrated... did pretty much everything right. In spite of being spot on target pace for a 3:10 finish until just before the thirtieth kilometer, I sank without a struggle by the thirty-third. In that short duration, not once did it occur to me to man the fuck up and dig in.

Off came the bib. I thumbed a scooter ride from a good Samaritan and reached the finish in a fantastic time of 2:58.

It took many beers at multiple locations around the city over the course of the rest of the day to stop agonizing over the whys and the wherefores.

Much can be said after a DNF...

From a dismissive “Some days you just don’t feel it” to a long tirade of real and imagined reasons. The truth will lie somewhere between the extremes. To find it will, much like in the case of the Bermuda Triangle, remove the charm of the unsolved mystery. Sometimes it’s more fun not knowing.

All said, the experience taught me some profound technical, spiritual and moral lessons...

Haha. Just kidding. No it didn’t. I already know everything.

22 comments:

  1. Hey Shiv, it was nice catching up with u on the course.
    Tough luck for u... as u rightly put above...the 'odds of things going wrong hypothesis'... :) Can happen to anybody, all races can't be PBs.

    I know u will come out strong.
    And also, keeping Boston in mind, it was probably wise not to pull the strings and burn yourself for yet another 10 kilometers till the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. And your race was not an inch short of brilliant.

      Delete
  2. 'Gell'otising.... That's what this write up is.

    Whatever has happened to you starting to "whine" and whimper about another Marathon in April, and try to fit that into the list of excuses. Uff... The next thing you'll probably start crying about is the Sun rising from the east.

    One thing that is definite however, is you are one heck of a writer. I couldn't take my eyes, or my attention off the next word. (And that's a BIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGG compliment mister.).


    Now I only hope this doesn't go to your head, and you don't start charging for your writings, although I know I will pay to read you, many times over.

    Super good write-up dost. You are an amazing writer, and I look forward to run with you... hopefully soon.

    and the first word was to be spelt as GAHLOT-ising. Pardon my Smelling Pistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shukla, thank you again for reading. Always an honour to be complimented so elaborately! And what's all this about the sun rising in the east? That's just not done. Starting a petition to have that rectified.

      Delete
  3. Psst...do you know what came first? the chicken or the egg? Oh! by the way, great narration... as usual! waiting for you to screw up one anytime soon he he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me their bib numbers. The chicken and the egg. I'll let you know :D Thanks for sharing this one, man.

      Delete
  4. I was waiting to hear the reason(s) from the horse's mouth after I heard Shiv DNF yesterday!! Thank you for not glorifying a DNF and for helping me not to feel sorry/bad for you!! More power to you Shiv:)) Well, you know EVERYTHING;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please feel bad for me someone. Because I'm not feeling bad for me at all ;p

      Delete
  5. You write just as well as you always run, exceptions excluded!
    Just one of those days probably!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one of those days is the best I can think of, so far. Very kind of you to take the time to read, Taru.

      Delete
  6. you write so well shiv
    You run so well
    But at SCMM 17 the writer in shiv got over the runner.
    Thanks a lot for producing beautiful write ups again n again, though these days ur write ups are not so frequent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pankaj. You're quite right. Need to write more often...

      Delete
  7. This is such great writing. I have read so many people rationalize their DNFs, frequently through Facebook posts, often with too much analysis, occasionally with self-pity. But this is the most refreshing and humble DNF account I have read so far. More power (and beers) to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The read is much appreciated. Also I apologise for coming across as humble. That was unintentional ;D

      Delete
  8. Written so well Shiv. You impressed me even with you DNF :D But, somehow it is not totally unsurprising you taking this decision given your understanding of this sport. All the best for your Boston!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunita. But sometimes things are beyond understanding...:)

      Delete
  9. super write up Shiv!...and a courageous decision to DNF... have fun at Boston .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amit. Hardly 'courageous'... Not even a decision, actually. Just something that happened.

      Delete
  10. Great write Shiv...articulate and Terse, No effort ever goes waste..BOL for Boston

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shiv...30 k training run with a rocking pace for a 3.10 finish....I guess
    You had enough time to put on your Bermuda and head towards Beer Triangle..

    ReplyDelete